The world as we know it is completely different than it was many years ago. Food back in the day did not contain all of the synthetic ingredients as our highly processed foods have today.
It’s unfortunate that in today’s modern world, so many foods are high in fats, sugars and artificial additives. The widespread consumption of these high-processed foods indefinitely contribute to many diseases and illnesses. This is why it is so important to adapt healthy eating habits within your life. Specifically, the various food toxins that surround our everyday life are such a huge offender to most of the cancers that arise. Some of these harmful ingredients include; high-fructose corn syrup, various seed oils (soybean, corn etc.) and artificial colouring and flavouringto name a few.
5 tips to a healthier diet:
- Avoid processed snacks such as cookies and crackers. These are filled with hydrogenated oils and are high in sodium. Processed meats are also known to have harmful additives.
- Never drink anything ‘diet.’ The aspartame in these so called ‘diet’ drinks are more harmful than the regular drink. You should actually cut out these soft drinks all together, as they are extremely high in sugars.
- Reduce the amount of red meat and dairy products in your meals. I love a good steak and love my cheese, but it’s important to just cut down the amount you consume, to ensure less fat and calories.
- Avoid foods that contain a lot of refined flour. Flour goes through a refining and bleaching process which strips away all of the vitamins and nutrients. Choose whole-grain bread and pastas instead.
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes. These foods are wholesome and free of artificial additives. Buying organic produce is always better to ensure clean produce, free of GMOs and harmful chemicals.
Basically anything artificial is what we should stay away from. Although, I know It’s hard to completely omit these harmful substances from our diets, especially if we are on the go and eating out. However, simply avoiding these food toxins whenever possible is important in promoting a healthier diet for yourself.