When I think of comfort food I tend to think of creamy tomato soup. It’s perfect for those cold winter days and seems to pair perfectly with homemade croutons. This is a perfect soup to have as a light meal or to serve at a get together as a delicious appetizer. I guarantee it will be a definite crowd pleaser.
This soup is creamy, smooth, rich and so comforting. It will warm you up and leave you feeling quite satisfied. This is definitely a classic recipe that I will continue to make every season.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 2 - 3 carrots chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 5 tomatoes chopped and skinned (or use a can of skinned tomatoes)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Handful of fresh basil leaves (the more the better)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Croutons - homemade are best
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Fry onion and carrots for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, sugar, tomato paste, chicken stalk, salt and pepper to the pot. Stir well.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Let cool, and then transfer to a food processor and purée.
- Melt butter in a separate plate and stir in milk. Add this butter and milk mixture to the soup. Stir well.
- Reheat the soup and serve with croutons, extra-virgin olive oil and fresh herbs.