This risotto is a lighter and more aromatic version of the classic Italian style risotto that uses Parmigano cheese, lots of butter and sometimes cream. Carrot and ginger are really a harmonious combination, and when used to make risotto, the two ingredients create a heavenly fusion that is incredibly tasty.
This dish is very fragrant and excellently flavoured with the right spices. The fresh ginger definitely brings the risotto together and adds some spiciness to the dish, as the cloves and coriander help to perfectly flavour it.
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1.5 inch piece of ginger root, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup of white wine
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 leaves of radicchio, finely chopped
- Mince ginger and carrot in a food processor or the Magic Bullet.
- Heat butter and oil in a large pan on medium heat. Cook onions for 4 minutes.
- Next add garlic, carrot, ginger and coriander. Cook for another 4 minutes, stirring well. The onions should become translucent.
- Add rice, wine, a ladle of broth (reserve the rest for later), cloves, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Cook for 25- 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add an additional ladle of broth each time the liquid becomes absorbed. Repeat until done.
- The risotto should be al dente and creamy. When the risotto is done, remove from heat and stir in radicchio.
- Serve right away, and garnish with extra radicchio.