As we all should know by now, kale is one of the healthiest vegetables out there, loaded with nutrients. For this reason alone, we should try to incorporate it into our meals regularly. To add a healthy flare to the regular pasta and tomato sauce, I decided to add some red peppers and kale to the sauce. The fusilli I chose are organic, made with whole grains and flax. Choosing whole-grain, and whole-wheat pasta, is much more beneficial, as opposed to regular white pasta. The bleached flour content is so refined, that we actually lose any nourishing qualities. So, when possible, opt for whole-grain pasta or better yet, choose special gluten-free varieties to change it up and help reduce the overload of gluten in our bodies.
This pasta dish is easy, healthy and incredibly delicious, especially with some freshly grated Pecorino cheese on top. It makes a great lunch or a light and delightful dinner.
- Whole-grain flax fusilli (any whole-grain pasta of choice will work)
- Handful of kale, ripped in small pieces
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes, skinned (I used from can)
- 2 tablespoons red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- Pecorino cheese (can substitute for parmesan)
- Salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onion with a pinch of salt for 4 minutes, on medium heat.
- Add red pepper and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add kale and cover with lid for 2 minutes. Mix sauce together with pasta and serve.
- Serve with freshly grated pecorino and black pepper.