I’m a big fan of these homemade energy bars, since they are perfect for on the go, they’re super tasty and completely fulfilling. I have been making raw energy bars for over a year now, but I have to say that this recipe is now my favourite. It’s filled with a variety of superfoods, making them extra nutritious. Specifically, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and maca root powder are the three ingredients that make these bars extra special. In many of my previous posts I explain the importance of these superfoods and explain their nutritional content in more detail, however I will say that these bars are nutritionally dense. They are literally packed with protein, phytonutrients, omega fatty acids and are definitely an energizing snack.
Considering these bars have a lot of healthy ingredients, they taste like a decadent, rich, chocolatey treat.
- 3/4 cup mixed nuts (I used almonds and walnuts)
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (need more for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 3.5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maca root powder
- 1/2 cup ground oats (oat flour)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 7-8 dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Start by pulsing the mixed nuts in a food processor until fine. *It’s best to always pulse the nuts separately to ensure no big pieces remain. Set mixture aside when done.
- Next pulse the dates and chocolate chips until fine.
- Add the nut mixture back into the food processor along with the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until fine and all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Make sure consistency is soft but firm enough to hold together when pressed.
- Line a small baking pan with plastic wrap and pour the mixture into the pan. Press and flatten the mixture very well.
- Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Pull the bars out with the plastic wrap on a cutting board and with a sharp knife, slice into 8-10 bars.
- Feel free to garnish the bars with pumpkin seeds or other toppings of choice.
- Store in the fridge to ensure firmness.
Make multiple batches of this recipe and store the extra bars in the freezer for the future.