Oh these bars, these convenient, chocolatey, amazing bars. Clearly I can’t get enough of them. Maybe it’s because they are the perfect ‘on the go’ snack, or maybe it’s because they are just so good…
So I’ve been experimenting with different ingredients, and decided to try adding some vegan meal replacement supplement (in powder form), to make these bars even more filling and wholesome. Any protein powder will do, however lately I’ve been using Vega One’s french vanilla powder. The taste of the rich chocolate mixed with the hint of vanilla is a heavenly combo.
These bars are very filling, so they are ideal for a quick snack to have at work, or while traveling, to keep your hunger under control, all while providing an abundant amount of nutritional goodness in a delicious chocolatey treat.
This recipe is basically the same as the Raw Superfood Energizer Bars however I made a few adjustments. It just goes to show that you can add whatever dry ingredients you have, and as long as you grind them up fine enough and add the right amount of liquid to make everything stick together, you’ll have some delicious raw bars. The links below are some of my other raw bar recipes.
- 2 scoops Vega One french vanilla powder
- 3/4 cup mixed nuts (I used almonds and walnuts)
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maca root powder
- 1/2 cup ground oats (oat flour)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Start by pulsing the mixed nuts in a food processor until fine. *It’s best to always pulse the nuts separately to ensure no big pieces remain. Set mixture aside when done.
- Next grind the pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds and chia seeds until fine.
- Add the nut mixture back into the food processor along with the rest of the ingredients. Pulse until fine and all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Make sure consistency is soft but firm enough to hold together when pressed.
- Line a small baking pan with plastic wrap and pour the mixture into the pan. Press and flatten the mixture very well. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Pull the bars out with the plastic wrap on a cutting board and with a sharp knife, slice into 8-10 bars. Store in the fridge to ensure firmness.
If mixture is not sticking together, add a teaspoon of water and mix well. Keep adding teaspoons of water until desired consistency is reached.