This loaf is adapted from my Breakfast Loaf with some added fall spices. Loafs are typically pretty seasonal, since they are warm and hearty. They’re the perfect autumn breakfast or snack. And lets not forget that there’s something so comforting with a spiced loaf in the oven baking away, emitting such aromatic flavours throughout the kitchen. Yum.
What’s so great about baking a loaf, is that you literally just put a bunch of healthful ingredients into a bowl, mix well, and pour into a lined loaf pan. How simple?
- 1 cup unbleached, organic flour
- 3/4 cup spelt flour (can be substituted with whole-wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup steel cut and rolled oats combined
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower and pumpkin seeds combined
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk (can substitute for milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat over to 350F.
- Combine all of the above ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly, until completely incorporated.
- Pour into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle some seeds over top for garnish, and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- When done, check by sticking a knife in the middle of the loaf and make sure it is clean when removed (this is an old, common trick to ensure the loaf is cooked).
- Set aside to cool, and enjoy with some tea/coffee.