There are just too many reasons why you should eat quinoa. Instead of explaining in depth about the reasons why everyone should eat more of this ancient superfood, here’s a summarized list:
- Quinoa is rich in iron, magnesium, potassium, manganese, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and many other nutrients. It also contains all nine of the essential amino acids, making quinoa a complete protein, ideal for vegans and vegetarians.
- Quinoa contains both soluble and insoluble fibre, which lowers cholesterol and aids in digestive and colon health. Foods high in fibre tend to make you feel full for longer periods.
- Quinoa is entirely gluten-free. Those who reduce the amount of gluten in their diets will feel better, less bloated, and actually lose weight. Quinoa is the perfect ‘grain’ for those with gluten intolerance (celiacs).
- Quinoa is a complex carbohydrate, so it will not raise blood sugar levels, providing balanced energy.
- Quinoa contains a diverse range of anti-inflammatory nutrients, which are vital in reducing cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and colon cancer, just to name a few.
- Quinoa does not require a long cooking period, as it’s ready in just 20 minutes. It’s perfect for whipping up a quick and filling meal.
- Quinoa is an incredibly versatile food. It can be used as a breakfast cereal, a chilled salad or side dish, and can be sprinkled in salads, added to soups, stews, or blended into smoothies. It can also be ground into flour, and is great when used in baking.
See my recipe of Quinoa Salad with Lemon Infused Dressing
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salted butter (substitute with seasoning of choice)
- black pepper (optional)
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly under water, making sure to get rid of any foamy residue. Drain quinoa.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Reduce heat to low and add quinoa, butter and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes covered.
- When done, the quinoa should be fluffy and will have absorbed all of the water. Ready to serve.
1 cup dried quinoa will make about 3 cups cooked quinoa.