The holidays are filled with rich indulgences and many of the foods and drinks are made with heavy creams, butters and loaded with sugar. Fortunately, you can still enjoy these festive treats, without much of the guilt, just by swapping some ingredients.
Eggnog is one of those Christmas beverages that is a holiday favourite amongst many families. It’s a creamy, sweet, rich beverage that tastes just like Christmas… Obviously, any homemade version is much better than store-bought, however eggnog is still a very heavy drink, as it typically contains heavy cream, egg yolks, whipped egg whites and lots of sugar.
My version of eggnog is much healthier than the traditional recipe, as it’s dairy and sugar free. All of the ingredients are wholesome, which makes this drink healthy enough to have for breakfast. The texture is creamy and smooth with a great hint of nutmeg and cinnamon. It’s just as rich and delicious as the traditional recipe.
A rich and creamy vegan eggnog. It's a dairy and sugar free version of the traditional Christmas eggnog. A delicious, festive beverage that is guilt-free.
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked 1 hour or more
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 4-5 dates, pitted (adjust amount depending on level of sweetness)
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (more for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- cinnamon sticks for garnish (optional)
- Drain the soaked cashews, and add all ingredients to a high-powered blender. Blend on high for 1 minute or until cashews and dates have completely dissolved.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with nutmeg and a cinnamon stick.
Add your choice of rum (to taste), for that extra kick this holiday. For a thinner consistency, add more water. For a thicker consistency, add more cashews.