Here in Canada, we just celebrated Thanksgiving, but for all you Americans out there, this holiday is quickly approaching. Before you know it, the festivities of Christmas will be in full swing and we all know we could all use a good stuffing recipe. Regardless of what holiday or occasion it is, this traditional bread stuffing will be your go-to recipe. It’s savoury, wholesome and oh so comforting. This is such a basic, yet great recipe to make along side a hearty main or for classic turkey stuffing.
I used whole-wheat bread, which adds more fibre and nutrients than white bread, but feel free to use multigrain, white or whatever bread is of preference. The vegetables in this stuffing consists of the notorious trilogy of carrots, celery and onion. Traditional stuffing has a distinct flavour of rustic seasoning, usually featuring thyme, rosemary and sage. This recipe also calls for white wine and lemon zest. These two ingredients add incredible depth of flavour and perfectly complement the other tastes.
- 8 cups cubed whole-wheat bread, hardened
- 1-2 tablespoons of a rich fat like butter or bacon fat (for a leaner/vegan recipe, use olive oil)
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1.5 cups chicken stock (use vegetable stock for vegan recipe)
- Toast bread cubes for 2-3 minutes, until they start to brown around the edges. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, heat a large saucepan on medium-high heat and add fat/oil. Next, add celery, carrot, onion, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add lemon zest and white wine and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes, letting the wine evaporate almost completely. When done, the veggies should be tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add toasted bread cubes and veggie mixture. Mix with a folding method until combined.
- Slowly pour the chicken stock and continue to fold stuffing until moist.
- Grease a baking dish with butter or oil and pour stuffing in.
- In a preheated oven at 350 degrees F, bake stuffing for 20-25 minutes.
This recipe makes enough stuffing for one small to medium-sized turkey. Omit steps 6 and 7 if using to stuff a turkey.