- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 sweet potato chopped
- Handful of broccoli
- Handful of brussel sprouts (I used frozen)
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons onion chopped
- 1/2 cup raw tomato puree
- 2 tomatoes chopped and skinned
- 3 cups vegetable broth (1/2 vegetable bouillon cube and 3 cups water)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chili pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
Heat oil in pan on medium heat and add onion, carrot and sweet potato. Cook for 5 minutes and then stir in garlic. Cook for another 5 minutes or until slightly browned.
Add dried basil, oregano, thyme, allspice, ground chili, and salt and pepper. Stir, and then add vegetable broth, tomatoes and tomato puree. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Then add broccoli and brussel sprouts. Cook for 25 mins and remove from heat.
Optional: Add cooked couscous to a bowl and add the vegetable soup on top. Drizzle some extra-virgin olive oil for added flavour.