Despite the fact that here in Toronto it definitely doesn’t feel like spring, it’s still a great time to start celebrating it by buying bright and fresh seasonal vegetables. Spring is a perfect time for purification, rejuvenation and restoration. It’s a time when we should be eating more fresh vegetables that are in season. Bright green, chlorophyl-rich veggies are ideal as they help to alkalize and slightly cleanse our body.
This dish is made up of organic artichoke pasta with avocados, snow peas, asparagus and asiago cheese. The asparagus and snow peas are both harvested through spring (depending on the region). Avocados are in-store all year round, but like snow peas and asparagus, their prime season is spring. They add a perfect creaminess to this dish, all while adding essential omega 3 fatty acids. This meal is lean, light, and very nutritious. However, I can’t take credit for this unique dish as the recipe was actually on the back of the Eden’s Organic Artichoke pasta box. Normally one wouldn’t think to add avocado to a pasta dish, but with the right ingredients, it makes a perfect combination.
- 1 package Eden Organic Artichoke Ribbons (can substitute with pasta of choice)
- 1 pound asparagus ends trimmed and cut into desired lengths
- 1 pound snow peas, strings removed
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped (can substitue with basil or mint)
- 1/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese (can substitue with Parmesan cheese)
Cook pasta according to package directions. Boil asparagus for 2 minutes in a separate, medium-sized pot, until bright green. Remove from water and set aside. Add snow peas, cook for 30 seconds, drain and set aside as well. Add extra-virgin olive oil, asparagus, snow peas, garlic, salt and pepper to the pot and cook for 2 minutes. Add cooked pasta, avocado, lemon juice, parsley (or herb of choice) and cheese. Mix well and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Serve with extra freshly grated cheese.